Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Work It Out

In an effort to live a healthier life and, more importantly, make sure that my $45/month gym membership doesn’t go to waste, I joined Adam at our gym last evening. While I have been a member of a couple gyms in the past, I have never really had a decent work out. This is attributed to leaving it up to myself to come up with a workout plan, which is not wise on my part. Then again, I’m not particularly wise to begin with. Thankfully, though, Adam stepped in and, for the first time, I actually enjoyed a work out.

I’ve always been intimidated by the free weights. Not so much because I don’t know how to use them properly (which I don’t), but because I don’t want to look like the fool I am in front of all the other people at the gym who do know what they are doing…or at least appear to. Now I am far more inclined to use them.

So fast forward to earlier this morning when my two alarms are going off. While not as sore as I will surely be tomorrow morning, I was pretty damn sore. My elbows, in particular. Now, I don’t think that this was due to working out, as they were sore when I woke up Monday morning (and had not worked out the previous evening). What I do think is that the workout intensified the pain and made it last longer. Yesterday, the pain wore off by the time I left for work. Today, though, the pain is just now beginning to subside. Hopefully I can determine what I’m doing in the course of the night to cause this pain.

Tomorrow is a half day for me, as a couple weeks ago a co-worker and I were left by ourselves for a day. Since our boss should have been in and elected not to, she wanted to do something nice for us as it turned out to be a particularly busy day. I’m going to head up to visit B for the afternoon. Hopefully this time there won’t be so many distractions and I can build up the courage to have a much needed discussion with him. We shall see. That evening, one of my favourite people, Jorge, is coming in to town for business. It’s hard to believe it, but, through the power of MySpace, we have known each other for about three years now. However, we only met for the first time around a year ago. It’s one of those rare instances where you’ve barely spent any time with someone, but when you are together it seems like you’ve been close friends for years.

Alright, my lunch break is nearing an end, so I have to wrap this up. Adios!

2 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Good boy! Working out is excellent. Good luck with the whole gym membership thing though - I HATE gyms and have wasted so much money on memberships over the years that I decided "never again". I much prefer being outdoors, so I run 4-5 days a week, do yoga (in a studio, but that's different), and lift free weights at home. No matter what, I always feel better after a workout, and you need to do what works for you! Gyms are good if you have a hard time getting and staying motivated...it helps to be with a group or a friend.

Daddy Cool said...

Oh man I miss running. My knee surgery took that away from me. No matter what I've tried I haven't been able to get the miles up like I used to.