Friday, February 09, 2007

The Dark Of The Matinee

The Academy Awards are coming up soon, but I’ve noticed that not one of them appears to be a front runner. There’s no Brokeback Mountain, Titanic or Lord Of The Rings to get people really interested in the event. Maybe there would be more excitement if they had honored Dreamgirls with a nod. Nevertheless, I’m not the only one who has noticed this lack of enthusiasm.

In an attempt to attract some interest in the Oscars this year, AMC Theatres is running a Best Picture Showcase. For $30 you can get a pass to see all five Best Picture nominees: Babel, The Queen, The Departed, Letters From Iwo Jima (pictured) and Little Miss Sunshine. On top of that, you apparently get all the popcorn and soda you can scarf down. While this sounds like a good way to get people to see these films, I can’t imagine devoting twelve (12) hours of my weekend to sitting in a movie theatre. I’d rather do so in the comfort of my home. Who knows, though, it may just work. So, if you haven’t seen any of the films and have the time, then you should probably check this out.

3 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Yeah, it's true! I'm much more excited for the individual categories than I am for "best picture" - and if Jennifer Hudson doesn't win, I'm going to go postal! ;-)

Anonymous said...

yeah, that would be a long time in the theater. I have caught Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed, both really good films. Babel and The Queen are soon to hit DVD, so I'll definitely catch those. Iwo Jima looks really cool too. Oh and I still havent seen Dreamgirls...Ahem, so many to see, so little time. Ugh.

VJnet said...

I've only seen Little Miss Sunshine and I enjoyed it. I think I would wait till I can see the rest of the niminees in comfort of home, too.

It still amazes me how quickly that films go to DVD now a days. Within the same year or even 6 months, you can get movies from the theater to the shelves.

i remember when it would take 5 to 10 years before you could own one. And production companies would only release the good movies... It's kinda like the film industry is turning into fast food. Churning out every single movie, good and junkiy ones as fast as they can.