Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscar Predictions, Part III

These last two predictions are more locks than anything, which is why I didn't really write about the other performers. The King and Queen seem poised to rule the evening...or at least these two categories.

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
Peter O’Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit Of Happyness
Forest Whitaker, The Last King Of Scotland

It seems that this category is down to two front runners, O’Toole and Whitaker. The latter seems likely to take home the trophy, much like he has at just about every other awards ceremony this season. These are the two performances that I have yet to see, so I can’t really comment. However, I think if O’Toole wins, it won’t be for his performance.

My prediction: Forest Whitaker

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz, Volver
Judi Dench, Notes On A Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

As if I even needed to bother…they should already have Mirren’s name on the Oscar. I have no doubt that Helen will walk home with the top prize. Despite all of the buzz and pre-Oscar awards handed out to her, there hasn’t been the usual backlash. Why? Cause her work speaks for itself. It’s a rather dull movie, but her performance is dead on. This is her year (although I would love to see Volver honored).

My prediction: Helen Mirren

No comments: