Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Just Friends

I have been in a foul mood since Monday, and I just figured out why last evening. It’s Valentine’s Day! Today started off okay. I was doing fine until my co-worker made a huge deal over me not going out on Valentine’s.

Co-worker: “Are you going out for Valentine’s?
Me: “No.
Co-worker: “Why not?
Me: “Because I do not have a Valentine.”
Co-worker: “Why not?
Me: “Because I just don’t.
Co-worker: “But why not?
Me: “
Co-worker: “I thought you and your friend (gestures at a picture of me and a friend I have sitting on my desk) would be doing something
Me: “He’s just a friend
Co-worker: “Why?
Me: “Cause he’s just a friend
Co-worker: “Well why aren’t you going out and doing anything then?

Seriously? Seriously! I finally just turned around, put my headphones on and resumed working. I heard a “Sorry” out of her a few moments later. Was that whole conversation even necessary?

I know I shouldn’t get bent out of shape over this day, but it’s difficult not to. If your single (and not by choice), it’s SHOVED down your throat that you are alone. And, when you’ve never had a Valentine, it gets a little old after a while.

Alright, I’m being bitchy and it is kind of really pathetic. lol.

7 comments:

Benji said...

you're not alone in your sentiments, jeff!!

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Sorry to hear you are crabby. Granted I have a Valentine and I am going out (I've had the same Valentine for 9 years now), but I think the "holiday" is silly (another "Hallmark Holiday"). Just think though - there are many holidays shoved down people's throats - like Christmas. I'm not Catholic/Christian really, I'm Buddhist, but do you think I can escape celebratring Christmas to some degree? NO. At least on Valentine's Day you don't have to buy 20 gifts for people for a holiday you don't even believe in....

Anonymous said...

I'll be your valentine, anytime.

Joshua said...

Happy Valentine's Day

Anonymous said...

yeah, it's become such a cliche, a Hallmark holiday really. If you depend on a marked holiday to show your love to someone, than I think it's lost on them anyways. Sorry she made you feel less-than, when you're totally not :)

Daddy Cool said...

You should have told them you were going out into the Radish Field wearing your angel wings to await the arrival of the Great Cupid.

or Get Out of my Business!

whichever works.

gayborhood gringo said...

lol...if only I were that quick on my toes.