Monday, January 08, 2007

We Want Our Film To Be Beautiful

So I'm anticipating the Oscars this year, despite the two of my three favourite films of the year are not front runners. At least all three (The Devil Wears Prada, Pan's Labyrinth and Volver) have pretty good shots at being nominated for at least a few categories. Since I love lists, here are my predictions for the Oscar nominations in the major categories. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of the movies, but I'm basing most of my decisions off of buzz and awards that have already been handed out. The only category that I'm fairly certain about is Best Actress, but I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

Picture
1. Babel
2. The Departed
3. Dreamgirls
4. Letters From Iwo Jima
5. Little Miss Sunshine

Director
1. Bill Condon, Dreamgirls
2. Clint Eastwood, Letters From Iwo Jima
3. Paul Greengrass, United 93
4. Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu, Babel
5. Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Actor
1. Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
2. Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
3. Peter O’Toole, Venus
4. Will Smith, The Pursuit Of Happyness
5. Forest Whitaker, The Last King Of Scotland

Actress
1. Penelope Cruz, Volver
2. Dame Judi Dench, Notes On A Scandal
3. Helen Mirren, The Queen
4. Mery Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
5. Kate Winslet, Little Children

Supporting Actor
1. Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
2. Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond
3. Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
4. Michael Sheen, The Queen
5. Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Supporting Actress
1. Adriana Barraza, Babel
2. Cate Blanchett, Notes On A Scandal
3. Emily Blunt, The Devil Wears Prada
4. Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
5. Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

3 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Cool! I agree with most of your predictions - and you need to get your butt to the theater! About the only "major" flick I have yet to see is "Babel", and I'll take care of that this weekend!

The Persian said...

I think I am the only one I know who didn't go crazy over little miss sunshine. I don't know why, it just didn't hit me as anything extraordinary.

Oh and Leonardo was horrid in Blood Diamond, his accent was completely forced and his performance (until the end) mediocre at best.

I really want to see The Departed.

gayborhood gringo said...

persian - I haven't see Blood Diamond yet, but I'm sure he's better in The Departed. I was actually going to list him under that film, but I can't determine what category he would have been submitted to for that movie. I've seen him nominated as Actor and Supporting Actor, so I just ignored it all together. I think he will be nominated, but not sure for which film.