Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And The Nominees Are...

The 79th annual Academy Aware nominations were announced this morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find Pan’s Labyrinth honored with SIX nominations, including Best Foreign Film. However, much to my dismay, Almodovar’s Volver was shut out of that race. Leading the pack of nominees, despite not being nominated for Best Picture, is the musical Dreamgirls with a total of eight nominations. Close behind are Babel (7), The Queen and aforementioned Pan’s (6 each), The Departed (5) and Letters From Iwo Jima and Little Miss Sunshine (4 each). Here are the nominees in the major categories, along with the percentage that I correctly guessed.

Best Picture
Babel
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

An over-site on my part, I incorrectly left The Queen off of my prediction list. Despite proof-reading it more than once, I didn’t notice my error. Had I noticed, I would not have listed Letters…. Either way, I still had Dreamgirls in the running, so I was 80% correct.

Best Director
Clint Eastwood, Letters From Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears, The Queen
Paul Greengrass, United 93
Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu, Babel
Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Again, the same issue as w/ Best Picture. I totally forgot to include The Queen, although I still would have included Bill Condon for Dreamgirls. 80% correct

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
Peter O’Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit Of Happyness
Forest Whitaker, The Last King Of Scotland

100%!!!

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz, Volver
Dame Judi Dench, Notes On A Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Mery Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

I correctly predicted this category as well, so another 100%

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

I incorrectly guessed that Michael Sheen would be in the running for The Queen. 80%

Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes On A Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

I incorrectly predicted Emily Blunt for The Devil Wears Prada. I didn’t feel as though Abigail’s performance was strong enough. Guess it was, though. 80%

4 comments:

Jimmi said...

Im a looser, I have only seen "Borat" which is a nominee for something and "The Devil wears Prada" LOL

Daddy Cool said...

I thought little Abigail did an amazing job. She made the role look easy and almost transparent it was so real.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

With the exception of "Dreamgirls" missing a "best pic ture" nod, I was very happy with the nominations over-all...and I agree with "the brian", Abigail did do an amazing job - she really lived that role.

gayborhood gringo said...

Clarification: While I'm not denying that Abigail did a fantastic job, I just didn't think that it would register enough w/ the Academy.