Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Decurbing

I watched the premier episode of the new season of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm last evening. I was rather disappointed. I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember when this used to be ridiculously funny. This episode, however, proved rather bland and overly predictable.

Larry David is invited to two parties only one day apart. He doesn't feel like going to a party two days in a row, so he concocts a plot to get out of going to the first one without coming across as a jerk. He decides to stop off at the first party while on his way to the second party, pretend that he had the wrong date, apologize and politely excuse himself so he could run to the other party. As expected, things don't quite go as planned.

Also in this episode, his wife, Cheryl, convinces him to take in a family misplaced by a hurricane. The family is black and so is their last name. As expected, he winds up insulting them.

It all felt far too forced and out of steam. I hope that it gets better as the season progresses, but I probably wouldn't stick with it if this was the first time I had ever watched it.

No comments: