Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Do This

As is the case for most people, I became aware of Moby through his best-selling and critically adored album Play. With songs like Natural Blues (the first song of his I that I ever listened to...or at least that I knew was his), Run On and My Weakness, the album has had a lasting, profound impact on my life. It's actually an album that I should really revisit soon, as it is the reason I made my first trip to NYC (to see Moby perform at Carnegie Hall with the likes of David Bowie, Emmylou Harris, Dave Matthews and Patti Smith). Over the years, though, my interest with the artist has waned. While the majority of it was due to overexposure (I made the mistake of turning my boyfriend at the time on to him and he had the 18 album on repeat for a year straight), he wasn't, in my opinion, reaching the high standard he had set with Play.

He recently announced a March 10th release date for his next set, titled Last Night, an ode to the dance music scene in NYC. After listening to the first single, Alice, a while back, I wasn't too impressed. It is easily recognizable as a Moby song, but it's lacking something. Because this year seems all about rekindling for me (delving back into art, putting my plans to move to NYC back on track) and because of past achievments, I'm willing to give Moby a chance. I'll give this track a few more spins and then wait out the release of the album to see if maybe I click more with the overall.

While I may not be all about his latest offering, that doesn't mean you won't. Below is the video for Alice:

No comments: