Friday, January 18, 2008

Back In [My] Head

I have refrained from posting about Project Runway because I just haven't been into it enough. I still watch it religiously every week, however, it's always a day or two after the fact. I won't put blame entirely on the series, though, as I gave up watching the actual television set last May and, while I have cable where I live now, I've grown accustomed to watching all of my shows on my laptop.

Up until now, though, the series has been lacking the excitement that the first three installments had. Granted, the past seasons were probably lacking, but they didn't have the extended gap between cycles so the excitement never really had time to settle. This past episode found the remaining eight designers faced with the challenge of creating an avant-garde outfit inspired by the hairstyle their model sported when picked. In traditional PR fashion, they tripped up the designers by announcing on the second day that they would need to create a second garment...an every day outfit inspired by their avant-garde spectacle.

And as if two designs wasn't bad enough, they had to pair up into four groups. Sweet P and Romi were initially excited about teaming up, but things quickly soured when Romi began freaking out about leadership responsibilities (mainly the fear of having to take the fall if they were in the bottom - which they ended up being). Kit and Ricky started off strong and worked well together, but churned out crap. Victorya and Jillian made an awkward match and, as is often the case with both, suffered major time management issues. In the end, just when you thought they were going to send some disastrous mess down the runway, the made it work and had two well-received outfits. In the end, though, the gays pulled it off and put the rest to shame. Christian and former-castoff Chris (known as Team Fierce) worked together seamlessly and produced the challenge's most intriguing and memorable dress. Their everday version was also fantastic, sans the questionable skirt.

I started the series off disliking Christian. I knew he was talented (heck, I've said from even before the show started up that I think he'll be making it to fashion week), but he's always just irritated me. Wednesday's episode changed all of that. His reactions and remarks were priceless and kept me laughing out loud (I tend to really only muster up a silent chuckle unless I find it really hilarious) throughout the episode.

Winning Design


Avante-Garde


Every Day


Losing Design


Avante-Garde


Every Day


check out the brilliant jacket designed by Jillian

No comments: