Tuesday, May 08, 2007

You Should Be Dancing

Yeah, I should have been dancing, but I wasn't. Blake Lewis wasn't on top of his game tonight (no, I don't say that every week), but, honestly, nobody else was tonight either. It has nothing to do with the artists themselves, but, in my opinion, the songs. Where Bon Jovi's songs were easily modernized, Gibbs' songs are grounded in the 70's. Which made it pretty difficult for these four to get themselves wrapped around them. For once, LaKisha "Kiki" Jones seemed to be the best of the bunch, although I'm not certain she has enough fans behind her to keep her in for another week. Melinda Doolittle can afford a weak night this late in the game, I hope. Jordin Sparks will most likely be safe, although I honestly couldn't stand either of her performances tonight. She has an amazing voice, but she chose songs that were way beyond her years. Kind of the same problem Leann Rimes faced when she recorded How Do I Live, singing about love when she isn't nearly old enough to have experienced it...except Leann pulled hers off far better. Blake was very weak tonight, but hopefully the surge of new fans he acquired thanks to last week's performance of You Give Love A Bad Name (although better known as Shot Through The Heart) will carry him through to next week.

Here's video of Blake Lewis performing You Should Be Dancing






Coming shortly...video of his second performance, This Is Where I Came In

2 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I thought Blake was TERRIBLE (and I hate saying that), especially on song #1 - and the beatboxing is getting old (like Randy said, he doesn't need to do it on every song). Personally, I thought the others did a nice job, especially Jordin on song #1!