Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Put On The Red Light

My cable is out, so I’ve had to run across the street to a local tea shop that offers wi-fi. Since we managed to get reception on my roommate's television, I only managed to see Blake Lewis perform tonight. While you all know that I’m quite smitten with the boy, I honestly don’t think it matters how strong he was tonight. I’m getting a feeling that this is about as far as he will make it in the competition. I think Melinda Doolittle has a fan base that is bigger than most would think. And, as I’ve said before, I feel like the producers are trying to condition us to vote for Jordin Sparks.

I guess since I can’t really speak about the other performances, I’ll go ahead and rate Blake’s three performances:

Roxanne
Grade: B-
He’s been compared to Sting before, so it came as no surprise that Paula would choose a song he’s performed. However, I just wasn’t impressed with Blake’s delivery. It felt rushed and he seemed somewhat detached.

UPDATE: Upon listening to this again, I actually rather enjoyed this song, aside from the annoying back-up singers.

This Love
Grade: A
Honestly, this morning I was listening to the new Maroon 5 album and thought that Blake should have done one of their songs this season. As Randy said, this song really suited his style and this was Blake’s best performance of the evening. It did feel a little too fast, though. Slow it down boy!

When I Get You Alone
Grade: B
Too fast. Granted, I’m not familiar w/ the Robin Thicke song, but I felt this could have been slowed down a lot. This should have been a sexy song, but it was lacking throughout. With the exception of his beatboxing, which he always does well.

UPDATE: Listened to this one again, too, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. It wasn't too fast, either. I kind of feel like I was listening to something else altogether! haha. I still feel like this is Blake's time to go, but he could pull a Katherine McPhee.

In case you missed it, here’s Blake Lewis performing This Love:





3 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

As cute as I think Blake is, he's not even close to Sting (vocally or looks wise) - Sting is *DELICIOUS*. I agree with your assessemnts though, for the most part, and I think Blake will "end here". He just came back to Seattle to do press stuff and it was a ZOO, though it was mainly 17 year old girls and a smattering of gay guys who were going nuts for him!

Anonymous said...

His run may end here, but then again you never know with the power of young girls and gay men who adore him. Either way, he has a huge career awaiting him. First place doesnt always equate to the most popular mainstream artist.

Anonymous said...

I THINK BLAKE CHANGED A LOT OF PEOPLE'S MINDS WITH THIS PERFORMANCE. JORDIN WAS CONSISTENTLY MY FAVORITE... BUT AFTER THIS PERFORMANCE, I WAS AT A LOSS, I DIDNT KNOW WHO WOULD GO HOME TONIGHT. TONIGHT'S SHOW WAS ANOTHER SHOCKER, BUT BASED ON PERSONALITY... BLAKE OR JORDIN ARE BETTER "AMERICAN IDOLS" THAN MELINDA.