Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Daughtry Effect

In what seems to becoming a trend, the singer everyone assumes will win (or at least make it to the finale) is given the boot. Last year it was Chris Daughtry. This year it's Melinda Doolittle. Thankfully, she'll most likely go the Daughtry route and not the way of Nikki McKibbin. Okay, that was mean. I meant no disrespect to Nikki, but she's not even a blip in the music industry. So, yeah, I don't feel too bad for Melinda. She's definitely going to have more say in what her album will sound like.

While definitely surprised, I think Blake was more disappointed than anything. He seemed to know that America just didn't get it right. That, or he just really wanted out. I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. I think his performances have lacked the appeal and energy he brought forth up through, but ending with, You Give Love A Bad Name. If anything, I hope that he lets loose and does his thing on the finale. Despite my crush, I don't want him winning the title. I think it'll do more harm than good for his album.

Poor Jordin Sparks. She just can't seems to stop crying. She's seventeen, she has an already amazing voice that will only get better and, well, she's seventeen. Why is her age such a big deal? I think the producers want her to win (yes, I realize I said just the opposite in my previous post, but now I realized that they dogged her so that everyone would think she was in trouble and, thus, more votes), because it will be a whole lot easier to persuade Ms. Sparks to record an album that is more mainstream and radio friendly. In other words, they want to recoup what they lost with Taylor Hicks.

2 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I can barely stand to watch the show anymore - there is NO WAY in hades that Blake has more talent or a better voice than Melinda - and, in fact, I think he's really over-acting (too much beat-boxing, and too much silliness). If he wins, I'll never watch the show again (not because I don't like him - I still think he's cute and semi-talented), but he's no "American Idol". Give me Kelly Clarkson back!

Daddy Cool said...

I've always found Melinda pretty dull to be honest. Her song choices were always predictable, conservative, and safe. She was slickly professional and consistent but I always found myself tuning out. There was never even the chance that she would fall flat like Jordin and her hard rock attempt. So, goodbye Melinda, I can't say I'll miss you.