Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Last Chance


First performance

Blake Lewis
Song: You Give Love A Bad Name
Rating: A-
I think that this was an even stronger performance than when he initially performed this song a few weeks ago, but only beatboxing-wise. The vocals weren't nearly as strong this time around. I think that Simon said it best when he said he's the best entertainer on the show.

Jordin Sparks
Song: Fighter
Rating: B
True, the vocals were stronger than Blakes, but they weren't that much better. Plus, she is really lacking as an entertainer. You can't rely solely on your vocals, especially when they weren't that strong.

Second Song

Blake
Song: She Will Be Loved
Rating: B+
Simon called it safe and said he wouldn't have chosen it for the finale, but I have to disagree. It reminded me of the first song I ever heard him perform, Somewhere Only We Know. Good vocals this time around, as opposed to his previous performance.

Jordin
Song: A Broken Wing
Rating: B-
I think her nerves are getting to her. When she initially sang this song during country week, I started rooting for her. Unfortunately, tonight's rendition just turned me off. What I don't understand is how I heard a completely different performance than the three judges, cause they all loved it.

Third Performance

Blake
Song: This Is My Now
Rating: B-
First off, I can't stand the song. A nationwide contest and they stuck w/ the same trite garbage that they make the finalists perform every year. I thought the whole point of the contest was to get something better suited for the singers. That being said, I think Blake did well enough, definitely the best he could w/ it. This is so out of his league, but, then again, it's a reminder that this is a contest for vocalists. It makes it hard to judge.

Jordin
Song: This Is My Now
Rating: B-
The song is clearly more suited for Jordin. However, I don't feel like she really blew this out of the ballpark. I really think she could have done better than this, but it's a horrible song and she alright with it.


So who do I think did better tonight? You guessed it, my man Blake. However, I must stress that it had nothing to do with my crush on him, I honestly feel Blake was just more entertaining. HOWEVER, I think Jordin Sparks has this in the bag.

**For someone who has bitched and moaned about American Idol as much as he has, I was surprised to see Chris Daughtry perform.

And, if you missed it, here's video of Blake Lewis performing This Is My Now:






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought Jordin nailed the last song, i had a tear in my eye... it was more for her than blake... either one could win and i would be happy... much better than the two smucks from last season...

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Oh boy! Well, I have to 100% totally disagree with you (more or less). Blake sounded good on song #1 (Bon Jovi), but just "so-so" on songs #2 and 3, and to say that Blake was as good as Jordin on song #3 is just CRAZY - that was such a weak performance on his part, and his outfit - TERRIBLE! They said it last night - American Idol is a SINGING competition, and Jordin is, by far, the better singer. And, at 17, just think of how she can develop. True that Jordin was not that strong on song #1, but on #'s 2 and 3 she kicked ass. As cute as Blake is, and as much as I admire his ability to entertain (though I find it all sort of cliche), he just isn't anything special vocally. Please don't hate me, man.