Tuesday, December 12, 2006

All The Pretty Albums

It isn't quite the end of the year, but it's close enough for me to look back and reflect on my favourite albums released in the calendar year. Below are my ten favourite albums from 2006:

1. Phoenix – It’s Never Been Like That
It is an extremely rare instance that I like every single track on an album. This year the French band Phoenix delivered such a feat. A stunning accomplishment, this album went relatively unnoticed by consumers. I can’t imagine why, though. The stand out tracks are Long Distance Call, Consolation Prizes, Sometimes In A Fall, Napoleon Says, Rally and the instrumental North.

2. The Killers – Sam’s Town
According to their lead singer Brandon Flowers, this was supposed to be the best album in the last twenty years. He may be extremely proud of this album, but it debuted to mixed reviews. While you could argue that my opinion is somewhat biased due to my connection to them, I actually was expecting the worst. Much to my delight they delivered a powerful follow up. If you haven’t given this a listen to, go out and buy it. You’ll be glad you did. My favourite track (quite possibly my favourite song of the year) is For Reasons Unknown. Other stand out tracks include: When You Were Young, Bones, Sam’s Town and Read My Mind.

3. Jamelia – Walk With Me
If you aren’t in the U.K. or Europe, you may not have a clue who Jamelia is. She’s had a successful career overseas, and, with this latest album, will hopefully be storming the shores of America. The entire album is mainstream accessible R&B (nearly every track is single worthy), so I’d be surprised if it doesn’t blow up here in the States. Stand out tracks include: Something About You, Get Up, Get Out, Ain’t A Love, and Beware Of The Dog.

4. La Oreja De Van Gogh - Guapa
I may not speak or understand a lick of Spanish, but this album is surprisingly gringo accessible. At least in my opinion. I love to sing along to songs, so I used to be weary that I could possibly like a song in a foreign language. Then a couple years ago I heard Rebekah Del Rio’s Llorando from the film Mulholland Drive. A year after that, I was introduced to Malo by Bebe (whose Pafuera Telarañas is my favourite album from last year). So I realized that I could appreciate Spanish music on an entirely different level. And while I just got this album a few days ago, I can easily say that this is one of the best releases of the year. It’s delectable ear candy that I highly recommend. The version I have has over twenty tracks and I haven’t had an opportunity to listen to each one, but the stand out tracks include: A Diez Centimetros De Ti, Vuelve, V.O.S., Dulce Locura, and Perdida

5. Dixie Chicks – Taking The Long Way
I used to find them to be a guilty pleasure, but I have a newfound respect for them after I heard this album. It’s no surprise that this earned a Grammy nomination for album of the year. If you are one of the folks that refuse to listen to Dixie Chicks after the comment made by their lead singer, Natalie Maines, then you are missing out on a truly amazing piece of work. Stand out tracks include: Baby Hold On, Easy Silence, Not Ready To Make Nice and Everybody Knows.

6. Scissor Sisters – Ta-Dah
This album presented a more mature side of Scissor Sisters and a second album that, in my humble opinion, is far superior to their first. Elton John’s touch can be heard a little too much throughout, but there are still several tracks that a fun, dirty trip. Stand out tracks include: I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’, Land Of A Thousand Words, Might Tell You Tonight, I Can’t Decide and She’s My Man.

7. Amy Winehouse – Back To Black
She may be a mean drunk, but she’s a force to be reckoned with in the recording studio. She channels singers from the 50’s and 60’s with her voice and infuses it with jazz and R&B. With themes like addiction and lost love, it is a depressing album. It’s hard to turn off once you put it on, though. Stand out tracks include: Rehab, You Know I’m No Good and Back To Black.

8. John Legend – Once Again
This man’s voice makes me melt, so I’m not surprised that Grammy loves him. He invokes so much emotion in each of his songs that I get easily wrapped up in them. Of course, that may be because I’m a hopeless romantic. Some of the songs on this album are fairly weak lyrically, but, once again, his voice rescues most of them. Some of the stand out tracks include: Stereo, P.D.A. (We Just Don’t Care), Coming Home, Slow Dance and Save Room.

9. Beyonce – B’Day
Sure, the album title makes me think of a bidet (thanks Adam!), but the album is a thing of beauty. In true diva fashion, this is a concept album. These are songs that she wishes her Dreamgirls character, Deena, had been strong enough to have sung. And this shows us a far less flawless and far more real Beyonce. Stand out tracks include: Lost Yo Mind (I’m posting it here cause it’s a track that was only available with pre-orders}, Irreplaceable, Ring The Alarm, Déjà Vu, Get Me Bodied and Green Light.

Artist: Beyonce
Track: Lost Yo Mind


10. Keane – Under The Iron Sea
You would never know it by listening to this album, but this band doesn’t use a single electric guitar. Just an interesting factoid. It was supposed to be edgier and more ambitious than their first album, but it turned out to only be so just a little. For the most part, it was more of the same. But, in Keane’s case, that isn’t always a bad thing. The stand out tracks are: Is It Any Wonder, A Bad Dream, Nothing In My Way and Put It Behind You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great list great blog.