Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Devil's Right Handbag


The Devil Wears Prada is easily one of the best films Hollywood has had to offer in a looooong time. It's also hilarious. I don't normally laugh out loud at the theatre, but I did several times during this. This was mostly due to the always stunning Meryl Streep. I don'’t think that any other actress could have embodied the character of Miranda Priestly (the editor-in-chief of the magazine Runway and one demanding bitch) as well as she did. Honestly, I forgot that I was watching an actress portray a character (fictional, no less). When she was on screen, she was Miranda. Her performance is fierce, funny and damn-near flawless. It is definitely worthy of an Oscar, in my opinion..and I'll be shocked if she isn't nominated for anything come awards season.

While she is a fine actress, I didn'’t feel that way about Anne Hathaway. She plays Andrea (or Andy), a small town gal and recent college graduate who moved to NYC to pursue a career in journalism. She lands a job as Miranda's #2 assistant in hopes of getting the necessary connections to achieve her dream of being a journalist. The problem is that she doesn't really stand out. She does at first since she dresses like an average person, but I'm referring more to her acting. While Meryl is Miranda, I just saw Anne playing Anne. Which is what most other young actors seem to be doing...playing themselves. I think Anne did what she was meant to do in this film...look pretty. I mean, this is Meryl's film, not hers.

Okay, Anne really wasn't that bad. I mean, I am comparing her to a legend. As I said, she did a fine job. The rest of the supporting cast, especially the brilliant Stanley Tucci, are used very well. And Emily Blunt is deliciously wicked as Miranda's #1 assistant.

Meryl aside, the film had a smart, well written script that propelled it far beyond anything else out there that is being served up. I think that is why movie-goers are responding the way they are...actually going to the theatre to see it, that is. It just goes to show that if you put a well written, well acted commercial film out (as opposed to getting fifteen people to write/touch up a script and throwing a flavor of the month in a lead role), then people will be more willing to spend ungodly amounts of their income to sit through it.

I definitely want to see this again, so, Adam, Brad and/or Kim, if you are reading this, I'’m going to force you to go w/ me some time very soon. I don't want to wait four months for it to come out on DVD.



That's all

No comments: