Monday, August 14, 2006

Tagged, I'm It

So Dan, over at Turning 40, tagged me for this book Meme. So here goes:

1. One book you have read more than once.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith. A novel that tells the story of Archie and Samad, two best friends that met during an ill-fated excursion through Europe in World War II, and their vastly different families. Culture, race and religion are just a few of the major themes of this resplendent novel, all the more impressive considering it was her debut.

2. One book you would want on a desert island.

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I figure I’ll want to laugh because of something funny than from losing my mind. Speaking of laughing…

3. One book that made you laugh.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. The answer to #2 actually made me laugh far more, but, this was my introduction to David.

4. One book that made you cry.

Either #2 or #3, but from laughing so hard.

5. One book you wish you had written.

Anything by Zadie Smith. In my opinion, she can do no wrong…at least when it comes to her novels.

6. One book you wish had never been written.

The Holy Bible...for the same reasons Dan gave.

7. One book you are currently reading.

On Beauty by Zadie Smith. This is my favourite author, and is responsible for my on-again-off-again love affair with books. Every time she puts out a novel, I go on a reading spree. This novel, her third, is no exception. While I haven’t touched it in several weeks, it isn’t because I haven’t wanted to.

With her novels, I do not read up on what the story is about. I don’t need to. With her name attached, I know I’m going to love it immensely. I also pretty much know it is going to revolve around the crumbling infrastructure of a family (or two). So far, that seems where this one is headed, as well.

8. One book you have been meaning to read.

Wickett’s Remedy by Mya Gold. I read her debut novel Bee Season (well before the film adaptation), so I decided to give this, her follow-up, a chance. It isn’t keeping my attention, but, I have it, so I want to finish.

9. One book that changed your life.

I don’t believe that any book has changed my life. If I had to choose, then I would go with The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. The first novel I actually wanted to read a second time.

10. Now tag five bloggers.

Chad over at Stop Touching My Food
Kelly over at Rambling Along In Life
VJNet over at VJNET
Brian over at Story Of The Turtle
Kevin over at Hypoxic

5 comments:

Daddy Cool said...

I loved White Teeth and I've been meaning to pick up On Beauty.

doh you tagged me!

Chox said...

1. One book you have read more than once.

"Blubber" by Judy Blume.

2. One book you would want on a desert island.

"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. Don't ask.

3. One book that made you laugh.

"The Book of Bunny Suicides" by Andy Riley. It's basically cartoons of little bunnies coming up with hilarious ways of killing themselves. I guess you have to see it to know why I like this book.

4. One book that made you cry.

Jeez...I don't think a book has ever made me cry. Maybe throw up in my mouth a little bit, but not cry.

5. One book you wish you had written.

The Bible. It'd have a different ending.

6. One book you wish had never been written.

Anything by Ann Coulter. She's just a cunt for the sake of being cunty. Why anyone pays attention to that loudmouthed abortion is beyond me.

7. One book you are currently reading.

"The Passionate Camera - Photography and Bodies of Desire" by Deborah Bright. It's a cool photography book a friend in Cleveland sent me.

8. One book you have been meaning to read.

Angels & Demons. Yeah, I know, it's SO two years ago but I never finished it.

9. One book that changed your life.

"Drawing on the Right Side of your Brain" definitely changed me. Read it and it'll change you too.

gayborhood gringo said...

Thank you Chadley!

I'm an idiot and didn't notify any of the people that I "tagged"! Then again, if they read my blog, there's no need to e-mail them, as well.

Ha Ha!

VJnet said...

1. One book you have read more than once.
X-men: The Dark Phoenix Saga written by Chris Claremont with art by Dave Cockrum and John Byrne.

2. One book you would want on a desert island.
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

3. One book that made you laugh.
Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris. I love David Sedaris. He's wicked funny.

4. One book that made you cry.
I can't think of any right now.

5. One book you wish you had written.
The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.

6. One book you wish had never been written.
I say let there be words on paper.

7. One book you are currently reading.
Marvel Comic's Young Avengers: Family Matters. It's the collected issues of #7-12. Written by Allan Heinberg with art by Andrea Divito Jim Cheung

8. One book you have been meaning to read.
The Authority/Lobo: Holiday Hell written by Keith Giffen and Alan Grant; Art by Simon Bisley and Henry Flint; Cover by Bisley

9. One book that changed your life.
The Webster Dictionary because I'm such a bad speller.

10. Now tag five bloggers.
I'll be the loser and not tag anyone else ;-)

VJnet said...

I was seeing who else you tagged and I thought it was funny how you used everyone's real name and then their blogg's name.

Chad over at Stop Touching My Food
Kelly over at Rambling Along In Life
VJNet over at VJNET
Brian over at Story Of The Turtle
Kevin over at Hypoxic

But for me you wrote VJNet over at VJNET. I think you can just call me VJ, Vietjohn or Johnny. lol.