Thursday, August 31, 2006

Life

I just completed jury duty. Back on Monday when we were being put the jury selection process, all I knew is that someone age 17 or older had been charged, and pleaded guilty to, with two counts of aggravated sexual assault to a minor (someone under the age of 14). We knew that a man age 17 or older had plead guilty to one count of having his penis penetrate the mouth of a female under the age of 14. This same man had plead guilty to also penetrating the sexual organ, with an object (in this case, digits - or, as they are better know, fingers), of a female below the age of 14.

Those were the only facts that we were presented with. It could have been consensual or non, we had no idea. We all had our suspicions based on merely seeing the defendant, but, as I've stated, we simply had no idea. I was hoping that it was consensual and that this guy was 17 or 18 and was having sex with his girlfriend and the parents found out or something. That I could sit and talk about.

It wasn't that. It was far from that. The defendant is 24 and the victim, his step-daughter (although she called him Daddy), was, at the time of the aforementioned charges (not to mention several other more sadistic events), ages 6, 7 and 8. The victim's own mother was even in on it, and, in fact, initiated it all.

There are many other details that I refuse to discuss here. I do not feel that they need to be printed here. I will say that we, the jury, sentenced the defendant to two consecutive life sentences (one for each charge against him).

I know that this sentencing may seem very harsh to some of you, but you have no idea (and neither do I, but most likely far more than you do) all that this beautiful little girl had to suffer through and will continue to for the rest of her life.

2 comments:

Daddy Cool said...

Wow, what a case to have to hear. You're a superstar for going through that.

gayborhood gringo said...

I'm no superstar...it is the very least that any of the 12 of us could have done for that sweet little girl. Remember, I sat through it for three days, she experienced it all first hand over at least a two year period.