Thursday, August 10, 2006

Food, Fashion...FOOT?!?

It’s Wednesday night, and we all know what that means! In case you don’t, though, it means PROJECT RUNWAY 3. I must admit that I was looking forward to tonight’s challenge with more anticipation than the past four. Thankfully, I was not disappointed, save for an issue w/ one designer.

As I stated in a previous post, the challenge this time around was to take a fashion icon from the past four decades and modernize their look. The icons were:

Cher
Farrah Fawcett
Pam Grier
Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Madonna
Marilyn Monroe
Jackie O
Diana Ross
Twiggy


In a twist, the models were asked to choose the designer they would most like to work with. After the designers were selected and two models were auf’d (remember, two designers went home last week – Bonnie was auf’d and Keith was eliminated), the surviving models went to the design room and got to fight over the icons. Here were the icons and the designers that got paired:

Alison - Farrah Fawcett
Angela - Audrey Hepburn
Bradley - Cher
Jeffrey - Madonna
Kayne - Marilyn Monroe
Laura – Katherine Hepbur
Michael - Pam Grier
Robert - Jackie O
Vincent - Twiggy
Uli - Diana Ross

With the exception of Alison and Bradley, I think each designer totally lucked out. Now, whether they rose up to the challenge is whole other issue. Michael was the one to beat, though, as he not only got the perfect icon for him, he had the best model. But Kayne was up to the challenge. I mean, come on, you give a gay man Marilyn Monroe, you expect fabulousness to occur. As for Alison and Bradley, neither really knew much about their icon. At least Alison put some effort into hers. Bradley ended up with a design suited less for Cher than for a baked potato (gotta give Adam’s Brad props for that potato reference). It was seriously hideous.

I’m going to stop for a moment and comment about Bradley. I firmly believe that the elevator doesn’t go all the way to the top floor, if you know what I mean. He’s just a little too peculiar. The oddest things come out of his mouth. I wouldn’t be surprised if he lived a very solitary life before the show. A squid without a sea he is indeed.

Back to the challenge. It wouldn’t be an episode of reality television if there wasn’t some sort of drama every week. Last week it was Keith being dismissed. This week, it was a feud triangle consisting of Angela, Jeffrey and Laura. While Jeffrey takes everything way too far, I have to side w/ him on this issue. Angela apparently used Bradley’s sewing machine, and, when Bradley went to use it, something was broken on it. Angela didn’t think that if she was the last person to use that it was her responsibility to repair the machine. Plus, it caused a domino effect of sorts. Angela’s on Bradley’s machine, so Bradley has to use Laura’s machine, so Laura has to use Michael’s machine, and so on and so on. That’s just an example, it isn’t what really happened. Anyway, Jeffrey started making a huge deal about it, and ended up screaming back and forth with Angela in the sewing room. Laura was trying to work and was being distracted by all of this, so she made the mistake of putting her two cents in. So now Jeffrey has a new woman to hate. First, it was Angela, a/k/a feminazi, now it’s Laura. I can’t remember what he referred to her as at this time.

With that little drama behind us (at least with the magic of editing), the challenge was back on. Here are the designs:

As I stated before, I believe Alison stumbled with this one because she was out of her element with Farrah. Still, I would have expected something a little better than this from her.












Angela surprised with a stunning dress that had Audrey written all over it (not literally).














What can I say about Bradley? Once again, he didn’t even try, but this time, there was no fooling the judges.












Jeffrey has become the resident arrogant ass in Keith’s place. Actually, he was pretty much an ass before, but it’s far more obvious with Keith out of the way. He continuously bad mouths all the other work, but then churns out crap like this. It’s definitely a Jeffrey design, but I don’t see where Madonna fit into this design at all.













Kayne delivered. This dress just reeked of Marilyn, and he was confident he’d win.













Laura nailed Katherine Hepburn.














Michael was in his element and produced fuckin’ hot hot pants. Very Pam Grier.














Robert, Robert, Robert. What exactly were you thinking? You were so focused on producing something not boring that you ending up producing yet another dull outfit. And am I the only one that can't imagine Jackie O ever using twine as a belt? This is the designer I referred to earlier as being disappointed with. At the start, he seemed by far one of the most promising. Now it seems like he has pretty much given up.












Vincent went more Brady Bunch than Twiggy.














Uli struck a chord with Diana and came up with a design that you could easily see on Ms. Ross.
















Alas, it boiled down to the two best and the two worst. Michael’s magenta hot pants outfit was declared the victor, so he and his model were featured in a TRESemme ad in an issue of Elle. Kayne had to settle for runner up.

The bottom two were Bradley and, for the second time in a row, Robert. Robert’s design was yet another boring outfit, and Bradley’s, well, I don’t even know where to begin. It was a complete wreck, both in execution and the fact that it didn’t look like anything Cher would be caught dead in. So, it was goodbye to Bradley.

Auf Wiedersehen!

It wasn’t all about Project Runway tonight, though. We had our weekly dinner, as well. This time around, Kim brought dinner…

So we ended up having pizza delivered.

All in all, it was a most splendid evening. Adam and Brad are always great hosts. Btw, Adam, I love the dining room. The new colour draws your eye into the room while managing to not overpower the other features in the room. Whereas, with the deep red tone you had in there before made it so dark I’d forget there was a room there some times.

Well, I am off until Saturday. I’m leaving for Houston right after work tomorrow and will not be getting back until Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I will not have internet access, so I won’t be able to update the blog until I get back home.

Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

Eric McKeever said...

I stumbled onto your blog and I am glad I did. I will look forward to future commentary on Project Runway. My gays and I watch it religiously!!

Daddy Cool said...

I thought farrah was a bit of a cop-out. She was a hair icon but fashion? I can't really think of a signature look for her.