Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Fallin' Off The Ice Cream Truck

Or would it be that I’ve jumped in the ice cream truck? Thanks Adam and Brad for finding my one weakness and forcing me to have it as a delicious dessert! Of course, I had (HAD) to stop to pick a pint up on my way home. But I got Haagen-Dazs Light, so I feel a little better about it. So as I’m writing this, I’m indulging in chocolate fudge brownie ice cream…mmmmm.

As for Project Runway 3, it was…bittersweet. Laura is turning into a bitch, Vincent is as nutty as ever and Robert, while still very much a drag of a fag, is actually coming out his little bore slump.

Heidi started the show informing the remaining contestants that they have had it considerably easy so far, so they are going to make this challenge a little tougher. That’s all she would tell them, though. Tim Gunn woke them up the following morning at 5 a.m. and told them that they were going on a field trip. They were instructed to not wear any open toed shoes, which only added to the suspense. An hour later, they were in a van on their way to America’s armpit – New Jersey. They ended up at a warehouse in Newark.

Much to their surprise, they found out their challenge involved recyclable products. This includes paper, plastic, etc. So, in other words…trash.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Ice cream headache.

Okay, now that it’s over….

The designers are given just thirty minutes to shift through the trash to find the elements they will use for their garments. We learn that Kayne and his sister are white trash, so he is used to dumpster surfing. Laura goes after the only product that resembles fabric…peanut sacks. The rest just seem to grab whatever they think they’ll be able to work with. At this point, nobody has a design in mind. After their thirty minutes there are up, they go to a craft shop and are given ten minutes to get stuff like glue and paint. We learn here that Jeffrey is planning on using acrylic paint because he wants to make his dress using paper materials (i.e. – newspaper, magazines) and needs to add colour.

Back at Parsons, the designers are trying to figure out just what to do with what they were able to scrounge up when they are told that they only have 10 hours total to make it work. I think this is the tough part Heidi was referring to, seeing as, up until now, they have had at least two days for each design. Naturally, some of the designers begin to panic. I mean, they are working with materials that aren’t meant to be worn and have less time than normal. I’d be a little worried, too.

Laura begins her dress, which, as usual, just reeks of Laura. I like Laura, don’t get me wrong; however, I thinks he needs to start shaking things up a little. She consistently produces well made, gorgeous dresses, but, at the same time, each dress looks like it was made by Laura. It’s become rather boring, I say. She needs to show that she doesn’t fit just one mold, although, I’m afraid, she just may. The other designers seem to dislike her, as well. There is a lot that gets tossed on the editing room floor, so we don’t really know exactly how she has presented herself to the others. I think we get a glimpse into her behaviour during this episode, though. Her bitchiness is starting to shine.

Michael is basking in his win on the last challenge, which, I’ll admit, worried me at first. I figured, he is starting to let it get to his head, but, thankfully, he didn’t. Or at least it doesn’t appear that he had. He talked about how he tried out for season 2 and, obviously, didn’t make it. So he wrote down on a piece of paper that he would win Project Runway. After he win, he found that piece of paper in his wallet. I thought that was cute. For his dress, he took Mylar, turned it inside out, and used plastic as wrap. I think the end result was cute, sans the wrap, of course.



Vincent is as kooky as ever. I just can’t even begin to describe him. He is crazy. He has a train wreck of a dress. Just white, stiff…well, I don’t even know what he was using. Then it looks like a lint roller that he just rolled over a dirty floor or something, cause he just threw and glued a bunch of crap on it. He said it was like walking art. Please, the model could barely walk down the runway, so it was just crap.





Despite his arrogance, Jeffrey actually assembled his best dress yet. Made from paper clippings, he painted it multiple colours. After slapping on a big belt, it actually turned out quite well. And it was the only dress on the runway that actually flowed. Guess he does have some talent hidden somewhere.







Kayne, on the other hand, had some problems. For some reason, he went with lime green as his colour. The skirt started out as just paper with a big green flower painted on it. It just screamed high school art project. It was rather sad, cause you know he could have done a lot better. After Tim Gunn had a near laughing fit over it, he reworked the design. I’ll say this, it didn’t turn out much better than his original concept. You pretty knew he’d be in the bottom three.


Uli picked Mylar and braided it. She came up with a very cute dress that was surprisingly (to me, at least) different from all of previous designs this season. I rather enjoyed seeing her veer from what I’ve come to expect from her.










For all his complaining, I had a feeling a Robert would be safe this round. In fact, I will not be surprised if he does make it in the top three. I’m not saying he is one of my favourites any more, but I wouldn’t be surprised, is all. Anyway, I knew he would be safe this round because his was the only dress we didn’t see at all until the runway. Whenever Robert had air time, he was never around his dress. So I was pleasantly surprised when the dress came down the runway. For starters, it wasn’t boring. It wasn’t great, either. It was just good enough to get him to the next round, and I think his spirits may be lifting again because of that.

Alison. Poor, poor Alison. She was working so hard on this crazy, abstract skirt that just looked horrible after she starting sewing it. She had to start over from scratch, and just didn’t have very good products to work with. Her model was also the biggest (i.e. fattest) out of all them and had no waist, so it was going to be doubly hard for her. But I had faith in her. I really thought she would pull it off, at least enough to slink on to the next round. Honestly, I think she is my favourite designer this season. There’s just something about her. Charisma, maybe? I don’t know, I don’t care, I just think she’s fuckin’ amazing.

And then there was Angela. She produced two amazing outfits in a row, so she must have thought she had completely redeemed herself and could produce crap. She did…produce crap, that is. I have no idea what she was trying to do with this design, but it looked hideous. She was so lucky that there just happened to be three far worse results.






So now it’s the runway. Laura’s dress gets a laugh from the judges (the backside says ‘for nuts only’ – it’s a peanut sack, remember), while Vincent’s model is barely able to walk down the runway in his “walking art.” After the dresses are presented, Heidi calls six names: Alison, Laura, Vincent, Kayne, Michael and Jeffrey. The remaining three – Robert, Angela and Uli. We already know who the bottom three are and who the top three are, as it is fairly obvious. Each designer is asked about their piece and then the judges make their decision. Laura is in. Then the winner is announced. Jeffrey is confident that he will win this, but Michael pulls an upset and claims a victory for the second challenge in a row. Michael is in. Jeffrey is in. Kayne is in…but just barely according to Heidi.

So it’s down to Vincent and Alison. Vincent’s model was barely able to walk down the runway, but his “innovation” was appreciated. Alison’s silhouette and design make her model look frumpy and the judges are shocked that a female designer would create a dress not flattering to the female figure (and that whole hair in a bow thing only detracted more). Alison is out. Gringo is NOT amused.

Auf Wiedersehen!

In the back, things heat up. Nobody is happy that Alison is going home because they all know that she has talent. Laura is very upset that Vincent is still there and begins yelling at him, telling him that he fucking knows his model could barely walk down the runway. It’s all rather enjoyable watching everyone gang up on Vincent, especially since I really wanted him to go home. I really hope he is auf’d next week. It’s really time for him to go. Or, better yet, send this nutcase home:



Ahh…I’m done. With both the post and the ice cream. Ugh. I’ll regret the latter in the morning. Haha.

3 comments:

Adam said...

In retrospect I realized that I hate tasks like this, its completely impractical and retarded.

Daddy Cool said...

Good recap! Ulee is becoming my favorite more and more as the show goes on. Robert and Kayne are great for the color commentary of course.

TCho said...

I did not enjoy Laura's boob almost popping out while she was bitching out Vincent. ewwwww. lol