Thursday, August 10, 2006

Dress Up In You 06.01

I'm starting a new feature for Thursday posts. Most people are annoyed when a classic song is remade, and, more often than not, it's because it's been far too glossed over. I usually agree, but can still appreciate a decent cover song. What I do enjoy is when musicians redo current, or relatively current, songs. These are, more often than not, done while on tour or during an acoustic set. For example, while there was never a studio version to my knowledge, Travis reworked Britney's ...Baby One More Time as more of a rock song. They were just having fun w/ it, but it was still better than Britney's...which actually isn't saying much if you really think about it. Anyway, my point is that I'm going to start posting these types of songs here every Thursday.

The first installment is from Nelly Furtado. She did a stripped down version of Crazy, the global hit by Gnarls Barkley that is currently resting at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 here in the US, during a recent visit to the BBC Live Lounge.

btw, in the title I'll list the year then which entry number it is for said year.

2 comments:

Cade said...

Great version, like it better than than Gnarls.

But then I am a fan of songs being reworked like this. Such a raw and honest version. Not hidden behind studio reworking. Just pure tallent and bringing the music back to the heart.

Daddy Cool said...

I liked it too. The song is pleasant enough but I don't quite understand how it's become such a hit. ah well.