Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I Predict

I finally got around to watching Michael Clayton last night, so that means I've seen all five Best Picture nominees. I figure that now is as good a time as any for my predictions for the upcoming Oscars. I'll focus on one category at a time, starting with:

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Ruby Dee, American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Saoirse is a brilliant young actress. Swinton hasn't missed a beat since she was introduced to most American audiences in the 2001 film The Deep End (for which she should have received a nomination for). While both did a fine job, they should consider their nomination their award.

For the longest time (up until the nominations were announced really), it looked like Blanchett (pictured) and Ryan would be duking it out just between themselves. That was until Dee won in this category at the SAG Awards. Blanchett and Ryan need not fear, though, as I've noticed that more often than not the SAG winner in this category doesn't go on to win at the Oscars. And while Ryan may have snatched up most of the early awards, Blanchett seems almost a lock now. I've seen both performances (the only film here I haven't seen is American Gangster) and Blanchett's was the better performance by far.

Prediction: Cate Blanchett (Should Win/Will Win)

No comments: