Friday, February 22, 2008

I Predict, Cont.

And now for the final prediction, the big one:

Best Picture
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

For the first time I have seen all nominated films prior to the ceremony. Atonement is your typical Oscar fare. It was actually rather boring and failed to maintain my attention for long periods of time. Michael Clayton may have its share of impressive performances, but, as a whole, the film is not Best Picture material. It will fair better in the Best Actress In A Supporting Role category, where Tilda Swinton's buzz has been surging in the final days leading up to the ceremony. And then there is Juno, that light-hearted, crowd-pleasing little blockbuster that could. While I am a huge fan of this film, I honestly hope it doesn't pull an upset and take this category. Yes, it's a fun movie, but it just didn't have the weight needed, in my opinion.

The way I see it, I'll only be happy if either NCFOM or TWBB take home this award. TWBB doesn't have the edge here, though. It's audience tend to be split down the middle. For everyone person that got it and loved it, there's someone else who found no redeeming value. Yes, it was a little psychologically disturbing, but it's quite stunning if you allow yourself to get wrapped up in it. While director Paul Thomas Anderson certainly has his loyal followers, I think that this film is just going to have to settle for runner-up status in most categories where it competes with No Country. Speaking of, that film has everything going for it. A return to form by its directors Joel and Ethan Coen. Brilliant and balanced performances from the actors. A well done adaption. Everything has just seemed to line up with this one. It is the most well-rounded film, with no one nomination outshining another. And the main reason I feel this is going to win is that the excitement I felt when I watched it in the theatre several months ago is still fresh.

Prediction: No Country For Old Men (Should/Will Win)

No comments: