Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Predict, Cont.

If you haven't already heard, it appears that the Writer's Guild strike is over and most people should be getting back to work as early as tomorrow. As for today, I'm going to give out my predictions for two Oscar categories. I've already predicted Best Supporting Actress, so I guess I'll tackle Actors in both a leading and supporting role.

Best Actor In A Supporting Role
Casey Affleck, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into The Wild
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

I'm not even going to waste my breath debating who might win, because they may as well just hand over the little gold man to Javier Bardem right now. If there is an upset, the only other person that has built up any kind of buzz is Hal Holbrook.

Prediction: Javier Bardem (Should Win/Will Win)

Best Actor In A Leading Role
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones, In The Valley Of Elah
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises

After watching Michael Clayton over the weekend, I'm dumbfounded as to how it snatched so many nominations. It wasn't a horrible film, but not worthy of seven nominations. Clooney's nomination is especially puzzling, as I found his performance lacking. And while I would love to see Jones take the honours here for his heart-wrenching performances this year, but not when Day-Lewis is his competition. Day-Lewis' performance was hands down the performance of the year. He became this character so much on screen that you simply forget it's him. Even if you aren't a fan of the film (it's a love it or hate it kind of movie), there is no denying just how powerful his performance is. Nobody deserves the award more this year.

Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis (Should Win/Will Win)

No comments: