Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Walk To Remember

I have been walking/jogging the Katy Trail for I’d say approximately three years now. Not once has anything interesting ever occurred. That is, of course, until yesterday, when my friend Jorge joined me. He lives in Houston, but is in town on business.

Our walk started off innocently enough. We headed south toward downtown Dallas and we stopped and checked out the progress of some of the construction going on in Victory Park. Things became interesting as we headed north toward Knox Street. We were busy chatting and catching up when we started hearing this odd noise. We quickly determined that it was a woman ahead of us that was power walking. No, it wasn’t the sound of her thighs rubbing together! Out of nowhere, she had started singing along to Alanis Morissette’s Everything. Quite horribly. Quite loud, too. All of us (the other walkers, even those with their iPods on) all shared a good laugh at her expense. I honestly don’t think the woman even realized that she was singing.

The second person we encountered was a big ol’ queen. He was rollerblading wearing nothing but some spandex shorts. This girl was just singing along to whatever he was listening to, but, thankfully, was lip-syncing. Unfortunately, he was distorting his whole face and flailing his arms about. He wasn’t attractive to begin with, but this made him even less so.

I’m mean, I know.

As we approached our turn around point – where the trail crosses Knox Street – we heard another noise…the sound of a cyclist being hit by a car. It’s not the best set up, as neither the trail users nor those driving want to stop for the other. This particular driver was impatient and ended up hitting the biker. There were already several people helping the poor guy (who wasn’t severely injured), so Jorge called 911 on his cell. It took a little longer than usual because all operators were busy (glad nobody was getting attacked or in a more serious condition), but he finally got through and w quickly heard the sirens from the ambulance. We weren’t actually helping the victim other than calling for help, so we started heading back home.

We are going walking again today (as he’s here through Friday), so who knows what other adventures await us.

1 comment:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Wow! It sounds like you certainly had a little adventure. I often wonder how many people make fun of me since I sing (though not really out loud) wearing my i-Pod when I'm running. I can't help it! ;-)