Friday, June 22, 2007

At Least We Tried

Last night I did something I haven't done in well over a year-and-a-half: I went on a date. You may recall that I was kind of seeing a boy a few months ago, but I don't think going to the gym and an AA meeting qualify as a date. But back to last night...

J is an attractive, nice guy. We've been flirting with each other since we met back in April, but there were a few reasons why we did not go out until now. I finally built up enough balls to ask him out a couple weeks ago, so we followed through with it last night. I had suggested sushi and a particular restaurant; however, he insisted on another place. I quickly learned why, as his best friend just happened to be having dinner there. Thankfully, we grabbed our own table. While I won't bore you with the details, we had a typical first date. Both the conversation and food was decent. Overall, the first half of the date was pleasant.

After dinner, we chatted with his friend before heading over to the bar we met at. He pretty much knew everyone there and it quickly became obvious to me that the date had ended. While he was still obligated to hang out with me, he would wander away for 15 minutes at a time to go talk to friends. I would think that if one was interested in someone, they would include that person rather than leaving them alone. I'm a big boy, though, and dealt with it. However, I decided it was time to leave when a female friend showed up. He introduced me and then they just went off to do their own...quickly forgetting about me. I had probably already stayed longer than he would have liked, but I wanted/needed some alcohol. And after spending $65 that I don't have on dinner, I figured he owed me at least a few drinks (especially since I found out he had gone to do a bump of cocaine one of the many times he had disappeared).

Don't get me wrong, J is a good guy. He's cute, funny and outgoing. Had we only gone to dinner, I probably would have considered a second date. At least I learned right away that we don't mesh well romantically and are better off friends.

While I'm not discouraged by this, I think it's going to be a while before I go on another date.

2 comments:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

"J is a good guy. He's cute, funny and outgoing".

J may, indeed, be cute and funny and (too) outgoing, but he is NOT a good guy. Here's why:

A.) He acted like an asshole to you (yes, he did).

B.) He's doing hard drugs (i.e. - cocaine).

He SHOULD have included you MUCH MORE, even if he wasn't into you - or at least been honest enough to own up to the fact that he wasn't feeling it so you could both move on. You deserve better, my friend.

gayborhood gringo said...

I have to disagree. I think it was a rude leaving me by myself, but I don't think that means he's a bad guy. And just cause someone does drugs does not mean that they can't also be a good person. Doing them on a first date wasn't the best decision, but, again, that hardly makes him a bad person.

I do agree that I deserver better.