Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gayborhoodies Return

As is the case every year since 2002, I will be participating in the AIDS walk. This year's AIDS ARMS LifeWalk will be held on October 14, 2007. I do the walk because I get to inform people about AIDS and I get to be out amongst so many other people working toward the same goal. And I feel like I’m actually doing something productive.

Like last year, I want to put together a group of walkers called The Gayborhoodies. We raised over $2000 a year ago to help those suffering from AIDS and find a cure. If you'd like to contribue this year, please feel free to make a secure online donation using your credit or debit card. If you'd feel more comfortable sending cash or a check, please contact me at gayborhoodgringo@gmail.com for my mailing address.

While I am trying to get donations, my main goal is to make you aware of HIV/AIDS and hopefully motivate you to volunteer in some way. Because the only way we can combat this thing is through educating ourselves, making others aware of the issue and teaching people how to prevent it. It doesn’t seem to be talked about much any more, but that doesn’t mean it has gone away.

Here are some interesting statistics:

• By the end of 2005, 40.3 million people were living with HIV/AIDS, including 17.5 million women and 2.3 million children under the age of 15.
• 4.9 million people became newly infected with HIV in 2005, including 700,000 children.
• In 2005 alone, a total of 3.1 million people died of HIV/AIDS-related causes.
• World-wide, only 1 in 10 persons infected with HIV has been tested and know his/her HIV status.

So let that sink in. Then go out, get tested and FIND OUT the results. Too many people go get tested, but never actually go back for the results. If you don’t want to go alone, take a friend and get tested together. In fact, that’s what I’m going to do the next time I go to Houston. My friend and I are going to the free clinic there. Which reminds me, most major cities have free testing. If you aren’t aware of any where you live, do a Google search for your area. They are free and anonymous. And thanks to Hypoxic for this (I can't believe I would forget this bit of advice): ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION!! There is absolutely NO excuse for not using it.

WARNING: Some good advice that I’ve learned is to NEVER go through your insurance to get tested. At any time, they can go through their files, see that you have gotten tested and can use that to drop you…even if your results come back negative. As far as they are concerned, you are a potential risk.

To sponsor us:

  • The Gayborhoodies’ Donation Page


  • For more information:

  • AIDS Arms

  • The Well Project

  • data.org
  • No comments: