Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Past In Present 07.09

My musical preferences tend to go in cycles. I'm currently in an indie phase and couldn't be happier. The first time I really ventured into the indie (or at least somewhat) realm was seven years back in the days when Napster ruled. While it wasn't the first, I picked up the album Hyacinths And Thistles by The 6ths (yes, it is meant to be a tongue twister) after reading some very favourable reviews. Despite my Napster reference, I actually purchased the album without downloading it first. In fact, I had not heard a single track off of it, but was intrigued enough to give it a chance. The reviews were right on, the album is superb.

While labeled as a group, the only consistent performer on each track is Stephin Merritt. He enlists a different singer for each song, including Dominique A., Sarah Cracknell and (of Squirrel Nut Zipper fame) Katharine Whalen. While the latter's track, You You You You You, is probably the best known of the set, I chose another favourite of mine since it references my favourite city, NYC. It may not catch on immediately, but after a few listens you'll start to realize how remarkable it truly is. Here is The 6ths and Melanie Safka performing I've Got New York.

No comments: