Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dilemma

As I've stated before, my goal for this next year is to save up enough money to move to the NYC area by December '08 or January '09. I now have one thing standing in my way: School.

I've registered for classes at The Art Institute of Dallas. My intentions have been to attend here through December, move to NYC and then start up school six months later (once I am eligible for funding from the state). My concern has to do with credits and how many will transfer. While The Art Institute's NYC location is affiliated with the Dallas school, they are privately owned and are not structured the same. Therefore, I'm not able to find out which credits would transfer if I were to take classes here for the year.

If I did go here for the next year, I would be able to pump up my portfolio. Yet, on the other hand, I could just as easily do that myself and save thousands. And I would be able to move that much sooner.

Hmmm...I have a major decision to make and not much time to make it in.

**UPDATE**: I had a conversation with my former roommate who attended the same school (but in a different city) and he provided me with some very useful information. Including that his friend transferred from Chicago to Dallas within the Art Institute system but still had to take several classes over (and pay for them again). He and his friend both recommended that I complete the program in one place and avoid transferring. While I'm going to take the weekend to think on it, I am fairly certain that I am not willing to stay in Dallas through 2011 (the year that I would complete the program assuming I start in January). While it may sound as though I have made my mind up, I could still be swayed. My parents are coming up on Saturday, so I plan on getting their input (although something tells me that they won't be much help).

1 comment:

Daddy Cool said...

My inclination would be to go sooner than later. Regrets are regretful.