Thursday, November 15, 2007

Karma Police

During a trip to NYC last month, my mother and a family friend made everyone dine at Serendipity because they had recently watched the film of the same name. While we were there, the service was horrendous, the food was nothing to write home about and, quite frankly, it was just an all around poor experience. That being said, I wasn't heartbroken when I came across the following story (mind you, I was disgusted cause I actually ate food from that place):

Officials closed the restaurant Wednesday night after it failed its second inspection in a month. An inspector spotted a live mouse and mouse droppings, fruit flies, house flies and more than 100 live cockroaches.

"Both inspections revealed rodent and fly infestation and conditions conducive to pest infestation, including stagnant water in the basement," the department said.

People stand in line for hours outside the Manhattan restaurant, known for its extravagant and expensive desserts. Its $25,000 Frrrozen Haute Chocolate features top-grade cocoa, edible gold and shavings of a luxury truffle and was declared the most expensive dessert in the world by Guinness World Records. The eatery also offers a $1,000 sundae named Golden Opulence requiring 48-hour advance notice.


SOURCE

1 comment:

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Color me only a LITTLE shocked! I discovered Serendipity about 15 years ago when it was sublime (and it was) - in fact I saw Diana Ross there having a HUGE birthday party for her kid - and I have been back at least 5-6 times, most recent;y about 2-3 years ago now. Such a shame. BUT, I also have a friend in construction in NYC, and if you think this kind of thing is unusual, it's not - he's seen it all, and in some very fine places!