Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Rosey Posey

I watched
the film Broken English last night. Nora (Parker Posey, pictured left) is a thirtysomething New Yorker that is unlucky in love. It's her own fault, though. She's not feeling happy with herself, so she attracts and dates all the wrong men. From guys that just want her for sex or guys still in love with their exes. That is until she meets Julian (Melvil Poupaud, pictured right - very adorable), a French guy who is in town working on a film (he's not an actor, she already goes on a date w/ one of those earlier in the film). He's instantly drawn to her, but she's reluctant to pursue anything due to all her failed relationships in the past. He eventually wins her over and they spend the next few days together. He eventually returns to Paris, but she does not accept his invite to return with him. After moping around for the next few months, she quits her job and flies to Paris w/ her friend (Drea de Matteo of The Sopranos fame) to track him down. The thing is, she loses the piece of paper that she had his phone number written on and can't track him down since his last name is the French equivalent of Smith. Since it's predictable (in a good way), I don't mind telling you that fate does eventually intervene and they wind up on the same metro train on her way to the airport.

I must say that I adore this film. I already loved Parker Posey, but I think this is one of her best performances (definitely considering the last several roles she has taken). While I haven't seen every film, I found her to be at her most convincing. Or maybe I just got so caught up in the film because I could relate so well to Nora. If you want to see a female version of me (well, almost - I don't have panic attacks like her, but love life-wise it fits me to a T), just watch this movie. As a man Nora meets in a bar in Paris tells her, "Most people are with someone just to be with someone, but others need magic. You are one of those that needs magic." That's how it is for me. I've only experienced that magical feeling once and I've been trying to recapture it with someone else ever since. I think I like this movie as much as I do because it forces me to look at myself. To evaluate my behaviour when it comes to dating. For some reason, I treat every guy I go on a date with as if they are going to be my husband. It makes the date not only unbearable for the other party, but for me, as well. I need to learn to relax and just take it for what it is at the moment, and just let whatever may develop do so on its own.

If you are ever at the video store or perusing Netflix, I highly recommend this film.

No comments: