Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Thought It Was Over

So tonight I participated in my first ever caucus. Or at least I partially participated. Prior to heading over to it earlier this evening, I asked friends and co-workers just what the process was. Unfortunately, not one of them was really aware either, as they too had never participated in one before now. Considering the dozen plus people that I know have no clue what to do, I incorrectly made the assumption that they would go over it at the actual caucus. Here's what happened at mine:

Three precincts (hundreds of voters per) packed themselves into the cafeteria of a high school. Despite being a little crowded everyone was in great spirits, on a high from voting in a very important primary. Around 7:20 p.m. a man comes in and starts talking. Between everyone chatting amongst themselves and the surprisingly noisy air conditioning, nobody could hear the poor sap since he was lacking a microphone. Now, I may not have been able to hear him, but I know he wasn't explaining what was about to go down. He was just repeating same phrase until everyone quieted down and heard him:

"Obama to the left and Clinton to the right"

Pandemonium ensued. Everyone was rushing to get in line, jumping over lunch tables and cutting in line. There were only three or four of us that actually caught the mistake initially. The moron (he really was) was mixed up. He had been facing all of us with the tables behind him, so he actually meant that Obama was HIS left (but our right) and Clinton was HIS right. More bitching, moaning and chaos followed his correction.

All we were told to do was fill out the paperwork and to be sure we wrote the name of the candidate that we were voting for. I watched every person before me and each one LEFT THE BUILDING afterward. Not once did any of the volunteers ever mention to them that they weren't done yet and that they should stick around. In fact, everyone was rushing out thinking that they had done their part. Honestly, the organizers seemed more confused about what was going on than we did.

It wasn't until my roommate came home over three hours after I got home (I was home by 7:45) that I found out I had missed out on so much more. To say the least, I'm a little ticked off that I didn't get to participate in the entire process. I understand that voter turn out was far more than they had planned for, but that's not a good enough excuse in my book. Although it is comforting to know that I wasn't the only one confused. They really dropped the ball here in Texas (just another reason I can't wait move...lol)

Of course, when all is said and done, Clinton ruled the night as far as the primaries go. Obama seems to be leading in the caucuses.

3 comments:

Jimmi said...

This is exactly the problem with Caucuses. They are disorganized they are not accurate and no one knows what is going on (especially the people running it). I say each state should be allowed to vote in a primary. The primary votes will go in and you will get a better sense of what the state wants not just a select few individuals that decide they want to sit in a room and try and steal votes from the other candidate (because that is what ends up happening). When you think about it not everyone goes to caucuses but more people are likely to vote at a primary. That is why Obama is winning the Caucuses, and I bet if you were to put a Primary in Iowa he wouldn't have done as well. I'm just saying...

Another thing. Why on earth is Texas having a Primary AND a caucus? That just proves the point that they are one sided and not accurate. Hillary won with votes, but then Obama wins the caucus? How does that make any sense?

gayborhood gringo said...

None of it makes any sense. I'm still frustrated about it, but what am I gonna do about it at this point?

I just hope it's different in NY.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I loved caucusing!

Obama leads in ALL WAYS - pledged delegates, number of states won, popular vote (and, I'll point out that Hillary LOST Texas; contrary to popular belief, Obama got more delegates).