Thursday, March 06, 2008

For The First Time

If you have a MySpace, then you’ve most likely been bombarded with friend requests from the likes of authors, comedians, musicians and spammers. Thankfully, nowadays they have a better filtering system than they did when I joined nearly five years ago (has it really been that long…wow). I only recently created an account specifically for the blog, but I’ve received a few requests that have just had me puzzled. I hate to trash anyone here (okay, no I don’t), but some of the musicians’ work have been pure rubbish. It’s curious to see what some people consider art or listenable. Because the track record with these blind friend requests from bands have failed to introduce me to anyone remotely talented, I haven’t always used MySpace as a place for scouting fresh talent. Of course, today proved to be different.

The only thing I really know about this guy is his name (or at least what he goes by), Grenouille. And that he’s from Spain and, from as far as I am able to tell, unsigned. While the four songs that he has posted (which are currently available for download for FREE on his MySpace page, hurry before he realizes) are all brilliant and enjoyable, the song City Of Sirens stands out from the pack. It starts out with just him and guitar but the horns and strings start emerging about a minute into it and slowly envelope his vocals. It all builds up to the brilliant, dramatic and fierce piano finale. Well, it’s probably not actually piano, but I’m not an instrument geek. The whole thing is very European (French, really) sounding, so there are probably more instruments in play than I would guess. Regardless, it’s sublime. Take a listen for yourself:












If you like what you hear, be sure to head over to his MySpace page. Like I said, the tracks are currently available to download for free, so get them while you can.

No comments: