Monday, July 09, 2007

Play Nice

Mayor Bertrand Delanoe launched Paris Tourist Day, urging cab drivers to smile and waiters to brush up on their English.

I think French people should feel offended. As an American, I'm even a bit embarrassed that they feel the need to create this day. I've always said that it is one's responsibility, as a tourist, to learn the language of the country you are visiting. Or at least learn enough to get by. If anything, the French probably are a little rude simply because we Americans just go there and demand this type of special treatment.

This is precisely why when I go to Europe for a week in December, I'll be spending it entirely in England (w/ the possible exception of a day trip to Paris if I can convince a friend to skip out on work for a day to join me). Well, that's my rant for the day.

No comments: