Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Put Your Records On 07.15

Despite starting the day off still slightly drunk yesterday, my day surprisingly remained on a high note for the rest of the day. The effects of drinking six or seven or eight hurricanes the previous day slowly subsided, and I actually felt more refreshed than I have in a very long time.

One would have suspected a dentist appointment would dampen the day a little, especially considering it has been nearly five years since my last visit. It was actually very pleasant. The reason I have avoided going for as long as I have is due to many bad experiences in the past. Don't assume that I had cavities or any real problems, because I didn't. In fact, I have never had a cavity in my life (*knock on wood*). Instead, my problems lie w/ the people cleaning my teeth. From my early childhood up through my late teens, my mother forced my siblings and me to go to the same children's dentist. She said he was one of the best there is. This may be true, and, in fact, I hold no ill will toward the man. He was always very pleasant. It was the dental hygienists (is that right) that I hold a grudge against. I remember this one obese female that would always jam that pointy scraper thing into my gums and then would berate me because my gums bled. The others would also be extremely rough. Now, ordinarily I would have assumed I just had bad teeth, but my brother and sister later told me that the same was done to them.

As soon as I hit 18, I switched dentists. My mother strongly suggested her dentist and raved about how wonderful he was. Again, I had no problems w/ this dentist. However, the woman who cleaned my teeth did nothing but complain about how incapable I was of caring for my mouth. It must be noted that, again, I never had a cavity, gingivitis or anything else. My belief is that she was just a cranky old bitch.

This visit yesterday had me a little nervous considering the extensive time away from the dentist's chair. This dentist was a referral from a co-worker and gushing fan (of the dentist, not of me). Almost immediately, they made me feel incredibly comfortable and at ease. I braced myself for a lashing about not coming to the dentist sooner and what horrible condition my teeth were in. What I was treated to, instead, was quite the opposite. The woman that cleaned my teeth was warm and inviting. She instantly made me feel at ease. Despite a few issues that come from a five year gap between visits, I was never degraded. I went in expecting the worst, but came out feel rather positive about the whole thing. It was certainly refreshing.

Okay, I've rambled on long enough about nonsense. This post is supposed to be about music!

As I stated, I had a very positive day yesterday. I partially attribute that to some new music that I came across. The past several weeks I have been craving something different from what I've been listening to lately. It came to my attention that most of what I have been jammin' to is the same stuff I was playing three or four months ago. I have a short attention span when it comes to music and am constantly updating my playlist w/ new songs. However, the new songs I've been finding lately just haven't really done all that much for me, hence several songs lingering for longer than usual. But a few days ago I stumbled on to some amazing indie pop that has reignited the spark that had gone out. Back in August, I had reached a similar point, as I had become disenchanted with much of the music being churned out by mainstream acts. I stumbled across brilliant work from the likes of Barbara Morgenstern and Klee. This time around, I've been introduced to Feist, Pleasure, The Bird And The Bee and several others.

Today, though, I'm going to focus on the latest from Canadian act Feist (a/k/a - Leslie Feist). The track I currently have on heavy rotation is My Moon My Man. It's a pleasantly seductive rock/pop song that, sadly, will never reach it's full mainstream potential. It astounds me to no end that such beautiful music can be overlooked and brushed aside because it isn't by Justin Timberlake or produced by Timbaland. Don't get me wrong, I like guilty pleasure pop, JT and Timbaland. I guess I should be thankful in a way. All the attention they take away from the indie artists make it that much more of a treat when you discover them.

Alright, I don't even know what I'm going on about any more, so lets get on to the music already. If you like what you hear, remember to support the artist and buy their album. I've provided an iTunes link for convenience:

Feist



Artist: Feist
Album: The Reminder (due May 1, 2007)
Track: My Moon My Man

<br /><bgsound src="http://www.hddweb.com/65155/My_Moon_My_Man.m4a"><br />

Or watch the video:

No comments: