Saturday, June 24, 2006

I'm Not Dead

Okay, okay, I’ve taken too long of a break. While it isn’t an excuse, I have been far busier these past two weeks than I think I have ever been. I haven’t had one free night since three Fridays ago. I’m not complaining, either. I’ve met some very interesting people, made some new friends and spent much needed quality time with existing friends.

First thing’s first. If you haven’t noticed already, I designed the logo for The Gayborhoodies, the group Adam and I are forming for the Dallas AIDS Arms LifeWalk. Now that I have that done, my intentions are to be a little more aggressive in promoting the cause and raising money. If you feel obliged, please feel free to donate by clicking here or on the logo in the right hand column.

Speaking of the AIDS Walk, I need to send out a heartfelt thank you to a few people that have made generous contributions to the cause already.

Hypoxic – thank you, thank you, thank you. This guy not only made the first two donations, he also came up with challenge via his blog (visit it if you haven’t already) and got others to contribute by matching up to $400 total. So thank you again, you are amazing.

I also want to thank Tony, Flip and Jimmi. Thanks to your more than generous donations, we were able to not only meet, but exceed our goal far earlier than ever anticipated. In fact, we’ve had to set a new goal.


Basketball is something I never thought I could ever get into. However, I was invited to a party for the second game of the finals, so I thought I would give it a shot. How bad could it be, really? I was shocked to find myself actually getting into it and looking forward to the next game. I should give credit where credit is due. I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much had I not been in the company of Adam, Brad, Kim and their friends/co-workers. They made it far more entertaining and interesting. Now I can’t wait for the new season to start.

I’ve also been to the movies four times in the past two weeks. I’ve seen X3: The Last Stand, Nacho Libre, Cars and An Inconvenient Truth. The former two were pretty much let downs. Not a complete waste, but just your typical summer fluff that doesn’t live up to previous films (X-Men, X2 and Napoleon Dynamite). The latter two; however, proved to be surprisingly interesting.

The trailer for An Inconvenient Truth made me want to see the movie, but, knowing that it was more of a documentary, I was weary of just how interesting it would be. And while I’m sure most people don’t want to go to the theatre to think, I urge you to go out and support this. If you don’t want to sit through the movie, then at least go to http://www.climatecrisis.net/ and learn what you can do to prevent global warming. Believe it not, we do have the power to change the direction we are taking the world in.

On a lighter note, if you prefer escaping from the world for a couple hours, I recommend Cars from Disney/Pixar. Unlike An Inconvenient Truth, the trailers for this film did not make me want to rush out and see it. But I was hanging out w/ my friend David for the first time in a year and a half (outside of our daily Starbucks breaks – we work together), and we wanted to see a movie. Since nothing looked interesting, we opted for Cars because it didn’t look to be as bad as the others. Plus, it was 10 p.m., so there wouldn’t be any annoying little children. We were both shocked to find that this was, aside from being visually stunning (as most Pixar films are), it was a really good movie (I LOVE Luigi, the yellow car that owns the tire store).




I think people, including myself, have brushed this movie off too easily, so I’m hoping that word of mouth will give it long legs at the box office. I know that the theatres are being flooded with computer animated films and they have pretty much lost the drawing power they initially had, but Pixar continues to rise above the rest. They produce not only stunningly beautiful animation, but a story that has broad appeal. They really make movies for everyone, not just one demographic.

Following up on a previous post, I finally talked to my friend. It was about something he already knew and that I already knew he knew, but I had to say it for myself. And while I didn’t get to say everything that I wanted to, I got the most important thing out. It went well.

And to help Kelly over at Rambling Along In Life...With A Stern Point Of View reach his goal of having 100 blogs w/ this picture on it...



HAPPY PRIDE MONTH!!!


I know this is a long entry, so I’m going to wrap it up now. I thought I would leave you with my favorite song of the moment. It’s from a French rock band called Phoenix. They aren’t new or anything, but this is a new song called Long Distance Call. Press play to give it a listen to, hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: