Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I Want To Be In Love

This is my favourite song. Ever. I remember the day that I first heard it. My sister-in-law at the time had just moved to Dallas and was hanging out watching some television. I came out from the bedroom and she had just flipped the channel to CMT. They have this show called Crossroads where they pair up a country singer and a not-so country artist (usually someone adult contemporary or rock-lite, but very country accessible). The pairing this time was Dolly Parton and Melissa Etheridge. And the song they had just begun playing was ‘I Want To Be In Love,’ which was written by and originally recorded by Etheridge. I had never heard the original version, but Dolly made this hers.

Now, I’m a hopeless romantic (which means I'm also a fool), so that’s the main reason I love this song. I have always wanted to be in love. It is, for me, the biggest high (but, then again, I’ve never done drugs, so what do I know).

The other reason is that I really appreciate Etheridge (lesbian aspect aside, I can really relate to a lot of her songs) and adore Parton (I’ve been a fan since I was a wee lil’ one – even been to Dolly World). This was an amazing combination.

Yes, I never tire of this song. And yes, I get all giddy when I listen to it. It’s exactly what I want. I want to be in love! Okay, I am, so I guess I want them to be in love with me. Just hit play and give it a listen to:

No comments: