Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The New Work Out Plan

As I previously mentioned, I work in a call center, so I deal with a wide variety of people and a wide variety of intelligence. Yet it never ceases to amaze me how uneducated some people are. As Wanda Wisdom, of Lucky Bitch Radio, would say, “I’m not judgin’, I’m just sayin’.” Case in point…we received an e-mail from a customer and the first line went something like this, “I was long time since I been on….” Sadly, that isn’t the worst one I’ve received. I’m not saying I’m terribly smart or anything. Far from it, in fact. I was in Honors English through my Senior year and during my one year of college, but, looking at myself now, I can’t believe it.

Which leads me into what I had planned to talk about in this post. Lately, I have been feeling rather sluggish…at least mentally. I haven’t really been exercising my brain at all, so it has kind of turned to mush. And so I’ve decided that I need to do something about it. I went to Houston this weekend, so I had about 6-8 hours of sitting in my car alone to think about stuff. I decided I wouldn’t “dive in” because I didn’t want to overwhelm myself. When I get into something new, I tend to overdue it and then tire of it quickly. So, knowing that about myself, I am going to pace myself. I’ve decided that two days out of the week I will sit down and study for two hours or so. I was taking a Spanish class, but I dropped it because it was interfering with my weekends…so I’m going to pick that back up on my own. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the two days I’ve chosen to give my brain a work out, so last night was the first night. I picked up where I had left off in the class, which was learning numbers (1-100). Most people are familiar with at least 1-9, myself included, so I just had to learn the rest. And I’m happy to say that I have memorized them all. The only number that stops me is 14. I know it, but it just doesn’t come to me as quickly as the others. Of course, repetition is the key, so I’ve been going over all the numbers every chance I get. I know it may not seem like a big deal to you, but it’s exciting to me to have something actually stick. My brain hasn’t been retaining things very well lately, so it was just nice to see it functioning again. And I’m proud of myself. Now I’m feeling motivated and excited about what else I can learn. I think it will be fun.

Today was a long day, so I’m going to cut this short. I think I’ll take a nice, warm shower and then curl up in bed and watch some television. I’m going to try to wake my lazy ass up at 7 a.m. to go for a walk, maybe toss a little jogging in. So good night, sleep well and all that good stuff.

………………………............
Head up young person.

No comments: