Sunday, April 30, 2006

All These Things That I've Done

This has been a stressful week for me. First, I fell behind at work and was struggling to get caught up. On top of that, my allergies were kicking my ass and my nerves were shot, making me more upset about everything than I would normally be. I thought that Saturday would be better, but it wasn’t at all. I realized that my biological father and his wife will be attending my sister’s wedding, and, considering I haven’t seen him since Christmas of 1998, I’m really not looking forward to that. I’m having issues with a friend, too, although I’m really just mad at myself for being stupid about stuff. But at least I had one thing to look forward to…a night hanging out with my friends Adam and Brad.

I don’t know if I would say I was really looking forward to it, but I knew it would be an interesting evening. Actually, the evening, in the tradition of the rest of the week, started off pretty bad. I bought a new beard trimmer. Of course, I tested it out and thought it worked great. Well, when I was on my way over to Adam’s place, I saw my reflection in the mirrors on the elevator doors. How could have I missed it! There was a shaved line in my beard. I tried to trim the rest of it down, but it was still obvious. So I ended up having to shave the entire thing off. Needless to say, I’m not very happy about this. I have actually startled myself a few times whenever I’ve looked in the mirror because I’m not used to it yet. Oh well. Hopefully it will grow back quickly.

The reason I said I wasn’t sure if I was looking forward to a night with Adam and Brad is because I knew Adam was planning something. You see, Adam has his own podcast show, The Krebs Cast, and he has been asking me to be on his show. I’ve been reluctant because I have mini anxiety attacks if I have to do stuff like give a speech or even leave a voice mail message. There’s just something about having my voice recorded…it’s cause I hate the sound of my voice. I guess most people do. But I get embarrassed very easily, and even by myself when I’m listening to his show and he mentions me. I know, I’m a freak. So Adam got me liquored up, sent his boyfriend off to bed and proceeded to pop my podcast cherry on his dining room table. And I must say, I was more relaxed than I thought I would be. I’m not saying I did a great job or anything, but I did okay for being as nervous as I was. Adam says that I sound fine, but, like I said, I hate my voice, so I won’t be listening to it. But feel free to go to The Krebs Cycle to check it out.

UPDATE 5/1/06: Adam just informed me that the podcast didn't come out as well as he had thought, so we are going to have to redo it. But I still recommend checking out his blog and previous podcasts.

The morning after…Adam and Brad picked me up and we had brunch at Mattito’s. It’s a Mexican restaurant in uptown Dallas, and they have a big brunch buffet. I’m usually not one to do any kind of buffet, but I rather enjoyed this one. The food was really good and it was a comfortable environment. After we filled up for the day (I’m still full, but, as usual, I still have the urge to snack…not sure how much longer I will be able to hold out), we ventured out to the museum district. I haven’t been to a museum in over three and a half years, or since I’ve been living in Dallas, so I was really excited. Our first stop was the Nasher Sculpture Center. There are a lot of amazing pieces there. Here are just a few of my favourites:











After Nasher, we went to the Lords of Creation: The Origins of Sacred Maya Kingship exhibit at the Dallas Museum Of Art. It was fascinating, and I highly recommend you go if you live in the Dallas area. It runs through May 7, 2006. If you do go, get the audio guide, because there are a lot of details and history we would have missed otherwise. I couldn’t take any pictures, as it is a temporary exhibit. And even though he has said he doesn't want kids, he broke down and adopted one:



All in all, it was a nice end to a bad week. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to rest up for the upcoming week.

No comments: