Thursday, May 04, 2006

Malo

Before I met my best friend, K., back in September, I had never really listened to Spanish music. Aside from hearing the likes of Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin, etc. , that is. But those were only their English language albums, with the exception of a Thunderpuss club remix of Shakira’s ‘Ojos Asi‘.
I was over at his apartment one evening back in October when he played this song by Bebe (Malo means 'bad' in English). Despite having no idea what she was singing, the chorus and her voice really attracted me to the song. I thought that it was very sexy, and then he told me that it was about spousal abuse. It still sounds sexy, even if the subject matter isn't.

While the album, Pafuera TelaraƱas, was originally released in 2004 in Mexico, it did not get released here until 2005. The album this is from is amazing and worth checking out, even if you do not speak Spanish (I still only speak Gringo).

Bebe was born Bebe Rebolledo in Valencia, Spain. She was nominated for five Latin Grammy awards this past year, and took home the award for Best New Artist.

1 comment:

VJnet said...

Malo is bad! In a good way :)