Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Goods

It's that time of year again. No, not the holidays...forget about all that crap. It's time for year-end lists! I'm a list fanatic, so I like to see where my favourites reside. The first list I've stumbled upon is from the British mag 'Q'. Here are their top 50 albums (I've marked those that I've shortlisted for my favourites list in bold):

50 Stereophonics - Pull The Pin
49 Jamie T - Panic Prevention
48 Justice -
47 Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks
46 Sigur Ròs - Hvarf-Heim
45 Lucinda Williams - West
44 Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!
43 Patrick Watson - Close To Paradise
42 The Enemy - We'll Live And Die In These Towns
41 Keren Ann - Keren Ann
40 Field Music - Tones Of Town
39 Joni Mitchell - Shine
38 Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
37 Robyn - Robyn
36 Common - Finding Forever
35 Hard-Fi - Once upon A Time In The West
34 M.I.A. - Kala
33 Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
32 Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
31 Soulsavers - It's Not How Far You Fall, It's The Way You Land
30 The National - Boxer
29 Roìsìn Murphy - Overpowered
28 The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
27 Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
26 Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
25 Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
24 PJ Harvey - White Chalk
23 Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
22 The Coral - Roots & Echoes
21 Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards
20 The Rumble Strips - Girls And Weather
19 Björk - Volta
18 LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
17 Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight
16 Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers
15 Interpol - Our Love To Admire
14 Cherry Ghost - Thirst For Romance
13 Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob
12 Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
11 Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
10 Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars
09 The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America
08 The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
07 Kings of Leon - Because Of The Times
06 Bruce Springsteen - Magic
05 The Good, The Bad & The Queen - The Good, The Bad & The Queen
04 Radiohead - In Rainbows
03 Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
02 The White Stripes - Icky Thump
01 Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

One glaring omission is that of Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? by Of Montreal. It may have been forgotten for two reasons: It was leaked so far into 2006 (way back in September) or because it was released so early in 2007. Neither is an acceptable reason, but I digress.

The only other complaint I have is that they didn't really veer away from the indie rock genre. There were some really great albums put out this year that were overlooked just because they were more mainstream. Oh well, it's not my list, so I shouldn't be complaining. If anything, it's brought some albums to my attention that I'm now interested in checking out.

While we are on the topic of best albums, I'll probably start posting my BEST OF lists sometime next week if depending on when I can get internet access.

No comments: