Wednesday, December 05, 2007

BShorty Falls Short

You knew it was coming and you knew I'd get myself a copy of it. I'm referring to Audio Day Dream by Blake Lewis. After having given it several spins, I must say I'm disappointed. It isn't that the album is bad, he just had so much more potential. He brought something that, up until his arrival, American Idol had been sorely lacking: if not originality, then at least creativity. In fact, the beatboxing has been reduced to the end of songs or brief tracks. The direction Blake appears to be heading is that of a poor man's Adam Levine, and that saddens me. If he wanted to do ballads, he could have at least gone more for Keane than Maroon 5. I'm hoping there were constraints on this album and his follow up will be more true to his style prior to AI.

When all is said and done, the album is actually pretty good for what it is. It's also the best effort from an AI first runner up, hands down. Unfortunately, he's being graded on what he didn't do because we all know what he was capable of churning out. Besides, my musical preferences have altered vastly over just the past few months and I'm just not feeling glossed over pop produced for the masses that opt for style over substance.

No comments: